From the Student of the Gymnasium to the Doctor of Science in Technical Sciences
Kazimieras Ragulskis was born on 15 October 1926 in Klovainiai (Pakruojis District) in the family of Mykolas Ragulskis and Liucija Kazlauskaitė-Ragulskienė. K. Ragulskis was a pupil at Klovainiai and Pakruojis Primary Schools, in 1940–1946, he studied at Linkuva Gymnasium. In 1945, Ragulskiai family was shaken by a tragedy – NKVD officers shot their son partisan Petras Ragulskis. It happened in Lygumos Parish and nobody learned about it in Linkuva; therefore, Kazimieras was allowed to graduate from the gymnasium. To avoid enlisting in the Soviet Army, K. Ragulskis falsified his certificate of birth (to make him 2 years younger) with the help of his teacher. After graduation from KPI Mechanical Faculty in 1951, he was a postgraduate student of the SSRS Institute of Machinery Science (1952–1954). In 1954, K. Ragulskis defended the dissertation of the doctoral candidate in technical sciences “Mašinų automatų kumštelinių mechanizmų dinaminio projektavimo metodai” (“Dynamic Design Methods for Cam Mechanisms in Automatic Machines”). In 1954–1963, he worked at the Physics-Technical Institute of the Lithuanian SSR Academy of Sciences in Kaunas, later renamed the Electrotechnics and Energy Institute. Kazimieras Ragulskis began as a junior researcher and later became the head of the laboratory. In 1962, the president of the Lithuanian SSR Academy of Sciences, at the proposal of the management of the institute, severely reprimanded K. Ragulskis for the lack of political vigilance. K. Ragulskis conducted research in the area of the stabilisation of nonlinear vibratory dynamical systems; however, the management did not consider his research promising, interfered with his research and the doctoral dissertation defence. Then, K. Ragulskis transferred to Kaunas Laboratory of the Vilnius Branch of the Experimental Research Institute for Metal Cutting Machines (ENIMS VF), established specifically for the group of the researchers of K. Ragulskis. On 13 October 1963, K. Ragulskis defended the dissertation of the doctor in technical sciences “Mechanizmai ant virpančio pagrindo. Dinamika ir pastovumas” (“Mechanisms on a Vibrating Base. Dynamics and Stability”. On 28 December 1963, a Departmental Vibrotechnics and Noise Control Laboratory was established at Kaunas Polytechnical Institute. Soon, K. Ragulskis was employed at this laboratory as a part-time senior researcher and in 1967, he became the head of the laboratory and began working as a full-time employee.